Thursday, February 18, 2010

Niagara Falls.....

:) Dear Blog ..

Days here in Canada just get better and better. It started off with a four day weekend where I visited Niagara Falls. May I add that it was Valentines day but no Valentine though..... Sigh. Let me tell you, just being there and seeing the huge waterfall, the simplicity of it all, it was honestly so breathtaking. I stood and stared for hours. Just being there, watching the water lap over each other, seeing the smile on everyone's faces, and all it was, was water. I buy lollies, clothing, gadgets and they make me happy, but the feeling that you get when you see amazing sights such as the Niagara Falls is just priceless !
As I said before, our Biology class visited Body Worlds, where people who donate there bodies to science have their bodies plasticised and cut up in order to show certain parts of the body etc and to tell you the truth, I was extremely disapointed. It all looks fake, and because it looks fake I don't see the need for people to donate their bodies to this kind of research where their bodies are fully disrespected ! The positions that the bodies are pulled into, then made to harden, could hurt someone when they are alive. I don't see the need for actual humans to be used, technology has advanced itself enough and there are more simple ways that it all could have been made out of clay or any other resources. I really didn't like it. On a high note, I got to visit the "Tutankhamun - The Golden King and the great Pharaohs" exhibition and I was overwhelmed ! The fact that creations such as these actually exist was so fascinating. I got to see an actual mummy tomb and learnt about the reason why gold masks were placed on mummies. Not only did I learn about it but I saw it with my own two eyes, the hieroglyphics and the jewelery, and statues that stood like 17 feet tall! It was amazing. I actually want to visit Egypt now, which I plan on doing later on in life. It was just amazing and makes you think, was it really necessary to adapt the world into what we know it as now with technology overuling everything else? Were we really lazy enough that we had to make life simpler? It honestly was an amazing exhibition. I'm not sure if it came to NZ . I think it may have but it was amazing. It made up for how disapointing body worlds was :)
I am also very proud of myself, with the fact that I am becoming more proactive with balancing work and social life here. Which is something that I know I will need this year, when I come back to New Zealand .


Well goodbye for now and I shall keep you updated on everything else that happens.

Ps - it's infusion next week and I think that I am going to Montreal this weekend which will be exciting :)

Goodbye for now .
Christine Savele
Headgirl 2010


3 comments:

  1. wow interesting comment about the body works. this could be a good discussion on ethics when you come back. i think they are incredibly life like and lots can be learned from handling the plasticized parts, more than from a virtual software prog. btw well done on the bio terms. will send you more reading material soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooops its Mr Dewan,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that its cool to see , but with how creative people are these days that it could all be achieved by clay or some kind of moulding product. human bodies does not seem neccessary !

    Just my own point of views .
    Christine Savele

    ReplyDelete